Tuesday, September 22, 2015

BOOK SAILING


“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” -Walt Disney
When I was a little kid, my grandma, who was a grade school teacher, liked giving me coloring books with stories in it. And when I turned 5, she gave me an encyclopedia and a few dictionaries. It didn’t really make me happy at first, because my classmates were bringing disney or fairytale books, so my dad gave me books that were appropriate for my age. Later on, my grandma explained to me that she gave those books so that I would also consider reading reference books and she really wants me to appreciate them at a young age. Because of this, I have loved collecting books gave by my grandmother. Whenever she goes to other countries, she would buy us books and brings them here for me and my siblings. 

Growing up, I would honestly say that, yes, I love to read. But whenever I see that a book has many pages and it looks really thick, I cannot make myself read it, unless required. 

Last Wednesday, September 17, 2015, the country's biggest book event: 36th Manila International Book Fair was held in SMX Convention Center MOA Complex, Pasay City and it lasted until September 20, 2015. It was their second day when we went there and I’m glad to say that there are long lines at the entrance door and to some counters in each booths, this means that many people are still eager to go inside and wanted to see great treasures. Inside, good heavens! All books are 20% off and some even offers higher discounts! Plus, there are some booths like National Book Store and Fully Booked that offer free pens! (LOL)

I was with my two block mates when I went there. One of them is a certified bookworm, she introduced me to some new books which according to her are good reads and she’s really sure that I will love those books. For a small allowance, luckily, we have bought books (thanks to the discounts), but I still took some of the pics I wanted to buy and will ask my mother about them later…. 

  



At the end of the day, I am really happy that despite ‘media colonization' in our society, many people would still prefer reading real/traditional books. It was great to see piles of books in one event, thinking that reading still has an effect in the minds of the people because you also use your imagination. Reading is fun. Reading is life.

-Orge, Xandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment