Saturday, August 15, 2015

"Indie XI"

Last August 7, we were privileged to attend the Cinemalaya's opening ceremony. This was my first time in CCP so I was stunned the moment I saw the architecture, the exhibits and the red carpet effect which I only see in hollywood interviews. This is where fresh directors get to screen their own originative masterpieces. The opening film, which was entitled "Taklub" or "Trap" talks about the after effects of Typhoon Yolanda way back in 2013, at Tacloban as the epicenter of the catastrophe. The film was directed by Mr. Brillante Mendoza, a veteran in the field of films, especially in independent ones. Ms. Nora Aunor, one of the best actresses in the history of Philippine movies, made the film as if it was on the actual scenario. They played their respective roles flawlessly and naturally. The film wasn't very predictable, unlike in mainstream movies. For me, it wants us to understand the hardships that they endured after the super typhoon. Many families lost their loved ones, some were still missing, some died because of the landslides, some died in the fire because of kerosine lamps. But on the bright side, it also showed the values of being helpful, generous, and being close to the Almighty in times of pain and sadness. I think the film does not have a proper resolution because we didn't get the chance to see a glimpse of what happened after that. I know that Bebeth's problems wasn't resolved because of the vague DNA results, but it was shown that she accepted the fact that her kids were gone. I could say the film has the cliffhanger effect, but I think that is a trademark for independent films. I would like to commend the production team, for covering a documentary-like view in the beginning. I was mesmerized on how they shot those washed out trees so quickly. Maybe it's really intented for the film, or maybe they went to Tacloban area for testimony. I would also like to congratulate them for covering the experiences which was based on a true story. I can imagine the sufferings they had. The evacuation of people whenever a gigantic tsunami is gonna hit them, the robbing of house parts in order to gain money. I know that Tacloban is not a poor place, infact it is one of Leyte's pride. I pity for the people who lives near the shore or the ocean line because their homes could be washed away in one wave. Sir Mendoza, did not do an exemplary film, but instead he made a heart felting film. In my understanding, he wants us to feel and undergo life challenges, whether bitterness or sweetness. I was inspired by this film because of its bona fideness. The experience for me, since it was my first time, made me an appreciator for Filipino films that are very astounding. Those I see in the big screens were nothing compared to these independent films. I can consider this as a true form of art. I also adore that actors and actresses are not famous. Indie actors can depict and play their roles excellently because they know what ordinary citizens do in their daily lives. The foremost day of Cinemalaya changed my perspective on Filipino movies. At first I thought it was corny, predicatable and unruly. But I was wrong. There are more actors out there who are creative enough to make a one clap and standing ovation deserved films. Our group was lucky because we had the chace to take a photo with Mr. Brillante Mendoza, but due to pushing and bragging of others who also wants to take a picture with him, our group photo was very disorganized. It was funny because only half of my face was seen but atleast we tried. It is better than nothing. That day was very memorable because me and my friends had so many unforgettable experiences before and after the ceremony. Before I forget, I would also like to commend the Phil harmonic orchestra for their beautiful music. At first I thought the sound track was coming from the video presentation but when I listened closely, the orchestra was playing live. Although this year it was only short films that was aired, I hope next year it will be back to full lengthed featured films. They need to continue creating splendid films, especially for aspiring directors, film makers and film critics like some of us. For me, personally, I learned that if someone wants to be a director, he or she will be needing the passion to make an artistic, different, and unique films. I have learned so much from this experience, evidently it is related to my course.

-Minardo, Ruee 

No comments:

Post a Comment