Sunday, August 16, 2015

"#DearDiary101 (BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER CINEMALAYA )"


All of us in the group just had our first Cinemalaya experience last August 7, 2015 at the CCP Theater. After school, we went straight to CCP at 5 pm. Thankfully, the people I was with, knows the route to the place. We didn’t have the chance to go to the venue altogether but we had our “chikahan” moments after the CCP that it was already in the main entrance when we felt the excitement. At the hall, you would see students (lining or lined) up to the theater. Although it was a long queue, you won’t see annoyed people but people with their smiles at the cameras and takes selfies or chats with each other on how they are so stoked for this annual event. Upon seeing the glittery “Cinemalaya” word at the hall, it had us filling our minds with high hopes and expectations— such as seeing actors and actresses, the directors especially Mr. Brillante Mendoza, well…food, etc. 

At 6 pm, we went inside the cinema and as expected, it didn’t start at the said time. And because of that, my friends and I got bored, so to entertain ourselves, we started teasing each other like, “Ana Meera, sa pelikulang: KABA” since our friend, Ana, has been the most nervous one at all times or like, “Ela, sa pelikulang: Wag Na Wag Mong Sasabihin Sa Nanay Ko”, etc. Yes. Me and my friends are all aspiring Filmmakers. 

Before the film “Taklub” starts, Ms. Laurice Guillen showed the past achievements that Cinemalaya had made which gave me goosebumps because what I felt is, the excitement and the nervousness at the same time. The presentation is so much inspiring to the point that I’m foreseeing myself doing films and walking up to the stage hearing the people’s applause because the people loved my film and telling me it inspired them. 

Break time, for 15 minutes, my group mates and I decided to roam around CCP. Our first stop is the huge posters posted on the walls, saying “Ang cute mo,” It’s not you. It’s me,” “Ang taba mo na,” etc. Our next stop is the BenCab museum. It is not that big, but you will be amazed by the paintings or arts posted on the walls. You would really see people taking shots at every angle of the museum. Also, it was really quiet and clean inside the museum, like I, myself, would want to just live there. Third stop? Washroom. 

Taklub starts, now everyone is quiet. In the beginning of the film, it introduced the surroundings of Tacloban a year after Super Typhoon Haiyan. Well, at first, I honestly thought to myself, “I think I won’t like this film.” and “This will bore me.” because first, it was shaky and black and white that it couldn’t really catch my attention neither my seatmate, whom I don’t really know and second, I’m not familiar with the director, Mr. Brillante Mendoza like, I haven’t seen any of his movies. But, despite that, I tried to force and push myself on watching the film and when it started showing superstar Nora Aunor, the audience applauded and I knew to myself that Taklub might be a great movie and maybe it is also because of what I remembered with what my professor in PMC and Film Appreciation, Mr. Rondina said that just by showing Nora Aunor’s eyes, you would see what she wants to express. What I like in this film is that, in one film, it successfully showed the different stories of different people— a wife, Bebeth, loses her children in the tragedy and tries to find their bodies by DNA tests, a father, Larry, who is devoted to his religion or faith and a man, Renato, who loses his entire family in the tragedy. The film definitely touched a million hearts of the people, especially us, Filipinos. No wonder it was picked to be screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival. In my case, it really had an effect on me. I imagined putting myself in the 3 stories of each protagonist in the film and it made me cry a bit because, losing my children and no one couldn’t help me find them, still having faith despite the tragedy, and losing my entire family.


After watching Taklub, we were surprised that it is just 7 pm when the event ends. We were expecting for more activities inside the theater because we have been told that the earliest time we can go home is by 11 pm. And, since we told our parentals we’re going arriving home late, my friends and I decided to go to Harbor Square, that is located just across CCP, because some of us haven’t been there. 

-Orge, Xandra

No comments:

Post a Comment